Food. Fashion. Fitness.

Saturday 30 November 2013

Run, Run, Run...


Getting our two eldest children interested in running was one of the best decisions we have made.


 The idea came around about 9 years ago when they were 8 and 10 years old. After just giving birth to my daughter and being busy with a toddler, we needed to find a fun pastime to tire the older boys out.


When the boys were at school my husband drove me and our tiny tots to Berry Hill Park In the middle of the park was a running track, my husband started sharing his childhood memories of his running club days and I knew we had to bring the lads up to see it.

A few days later my husband brought the boys up to the park on running club nights. The park was buzzing, full of children and adults of all ages shapes and sizes. All seemingly having fun running jumping and throwing for all they were worth. It was the place to be and if like me (at the time) you didn't run, it sure made you want to start. The boys loved it, so much so after a few years we decided to sell our house move schools all to be nearer to the club.


For years my sons enjoyed training nights and weekend racing. It developed a sense of pride, kept them fit made them realise the value of hard work and they made some great friends along the way.. Alas the club is now a shadow of it's former self as the club and trustees (who run the park) do not get on. As a result children are no longer welcome to train in the park. The club has essentially been split up with children and adults having to go to different venues around the County to train. It is no longer a hobby we can all do as a family. Such a shame.


My little ones are now 8 and 10 and its time to find them their hobbies. Something that keeps them fit, takes advantage of the great outdoors and is fun. Maybe it will be running again or cycling, or football. Who knows? Maybe even balancing a scooter on your head and seeing how long you can keep your tongue blobbed out?


Hopefully we do not need to move house though?!

As for me I am now training up for my 2nd London Marathon, looks like I caught the running bug!!

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig