Food. Fashion. Fitness.

Sunday 19 January 2014

Up-cycled Shoes : The Tutorial...


Take some plain boring shoes and make them into Party, Wedding guest, Cruise, cocktail party, or just cheer me up shoes..


Thanks to everyone who commented on my up-cycled shoes I posted last week. If you missed it you can see it here~ Up-cycled shoes .

As a few of you have been asking how I achieved this look I thought I would do a tutorial :)


You will need ~
  • Some shoes you never wear (just in case they don't turn out how you would have liked!!)
  • 2 different styles of ribbon
  •  I used 18 inches of plain and 18 red polka dot for toe bows x2
  • 22 inches of plain and 22 inches of polka dot for heel bows x2
  • Good quality glue ( modge podge is suppose to be the best but I never had any when up-cycling these ( I do have some now so will let you know how my next ones turn out)
Also~
  • Some pinking shears to cut your bows so not to fray.
  • Newspaper to place on flour to catch the glitter and glue
  • plastic gloves for glueing
  • Pegs for holding things together when the glue is drying


What to do~
  1. Make up all the 4 bows for the front of the shoes. 
  2. I used 18 inches of plain ribbon x 2, 18 inches of patterned ribbon x 2.
  3. Slightly loosen the plain bow and slide the patterned bow under the knot, pull tight again.
  4. Repeat this with the other front bows.
  5. Place a blob of good quality glue under the knots and down the ribbon to hold both ribbons together.
  6. Place plastic pegs on the ribbons where you have glued them to hold the ribbons together and set aside to set.
  7. Repeat with the back bows, I used 22 inches of ribbons for longer bows.
  8. Brush some glue on the heels of your shoes covering little areas at a time.
  9. Place some paper underneath to catch the glitter.
  10. Sprinkle the glitter over the glued area.
  11. Then repeat.
  12. Use the glitter that is on the paper, every other time to make sure no glitter is wasted.
  13. A good glue like Modge Podge is best for this as it glues and seals if you buy the right one. 
  14. I did not have any at the time but will now be sealing the glittered heels so not to loose any of it when walking.
  15. Leave the heels to dry.
  16. One the heels and bows are dry place the bows on the shoes.
  17. Place glue all over the backs of the bows and stick to the shoes.
  18. Clip the pegs over the bows to hold in place until set.


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig