Food. Fashion. Fitness.

Friday 11 November 2016

My Winter Travel Bucket List..


The Winter weather has finally arrived with a sharp cold snap over the last few days. It has had me dreaming of somewhere warm to hibernate till Spring! Or perhaps laying on a beach somewhere, with a cocktail in one hand and a good book in the other. Or even somewhere to embrace the Winter Lapland perhaps? Perfect.


Can you believe it has been nearly 13 years since we last travelled overseas!? Too long..

The first time I ever went on a aeroplane was a few months after my 2nd child was born. I needed a break and a change of scenery. We ordered our passports, and as soon as they arrived looked for a last minute deal. In those days before the internet and online booking, we had two booking options, spend hours looking on Teletext on the TV. Patiently waiting for a new offer to appear. Alternatively load two pushchairs and toddlers into the car drive 20 mile to our nearest travel agents. Then get quizzed and hassled and lured into booking a holiday we did not want. Neither option my idea of fun. Good job the Hubby loved his TV remote so much, (he once took it to the Doctors!! a blog post for another time!!) I would leave him with a beer and some snacks, he would sit for hours waiting for each teletext page to come on the TV.

 Nowadays it is so much easier to find and book a Holiday. Lots of great travel websites at the click of a button. You can just pop in your holiday requirements and within minutes be browsing hotels, flights and prices. With reviews, guides, videos and lots and lots of pictures, to help choose your perfect getaway. Book just flights, hotels or package holidays all within minutes. Easily comparing prices and most importantly getting great package holiday deals  for the perfect getaway..


We loved that first overseas holiday so much. I only remember the good times of that trip. The heat, the endless beaches, the excuse for a few new outfits, the fact that someone else did the cooking!! I seem to have forgotten, until Hubby reminded me, the stress of a 3 year old and a 6 month old baby. We must have loved it however, as when we got back we started saving the pennies for our next trip.

After our 3rd Child we still went abroad, however once I gave birth to my Daughter, we stopped going. It just got too much, with 4 children being young. Having two rooms was not ideal. Not to mention expensive. So the Great British seaside has been our saviour in recent times.

Our 2 eldest Sons are now at University, (most of the time looking after themselves) which gives us the opportunity to get our passports renewed and start exploring the World again. I must find my Piggy bank and start saving again!! A Winter getaway would be perfect.

First on my Winter wish list would be:

New York:


OK you would not be sat on a beach. I am sure it would perhaps be even colder than home. However if there is one place on Earth I would love to visit, it has to be the Big Apple New York City. Christmas time in New York must be magical.

Taking a Taxi in Manhattan, and starting your day with some yummy pancakes. Delicious. Then a stroll through Central Park, the Statue of Liberty, Empire State Building, Times Square, watching a show on Broadway the Christmas Tree at the Rockefeller Center. You could go on and on.

Oh and of course not to forget my favourite pastime Shopping.. Bergdorf, Bloomingdale's, Barney's, Saks Fifth Avenue, Macy's, Tiffany's, and many more. Basically just leave me on and around Fifth Avenue for the day!!

We love Christmas movies, with one of our favourites being ELF with Will Ferrell. Which features lots of New York. A snowball fight in Central Park, plenty of Yuletide fun and who knows if we are lucky a fly by from the big man himself, Santa.

When would you go to New York? and what would you like to see? Let me know.

                                    "New York, concrete jungle where dreams are made of" 
"These streets will make you feel brand new."


Lanzarote:



Somewhere I have always wanted to visit in Winter is Lanzarote. We have been to Tenerife and Gran Canaria but never here. Situated off the West Coast of Africa the Canary Islands are massively popular with us Brits especially in the Winter months. Where a warm climate is almost guaranteed. Only a 4 hr flight, warmer in Winter than the Med yet familiar to anyone who loves all things Spanish.

By all accounts a beautiful Island with a distinctive style all of its own. With the remnants of Volcanoes for all to see. Just looking at all the picture from Lanzarote make me want to go. A few friends go every year and all sing the Islands praises.

I love the Sun and just chilling, but always like to educate the children and myself when on holiday. I think Lanzarote would tick all the boxes in that regard. With a rich history to learn about. Then when my brain hurts learning about volcanic ash, some Spanish wine and paella. Lovely.


Paella is my all time favourite Spanish food. We all love eating Paella. We make it at home quite often, however it always tastes better when someone else makes it. I could just eat a plate full now with a nice glass or two or three of wine.

Northern lights and Santa Village. Lapland.


As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to see where Santa came from. Along with Aurora Borealis, the Northern Lights. Lapland in Northern Finland would be the place to go then. It would be amazing to go here around the Christmas season. Hopefully whilst my youngest children would still really appreciate it. Seeing the Reindeer, Santa's workshop. Deliver a letter to Santa. It really would be magical.


Where In The World Would You Go?


If you could take time off work and pack your family's suitcase and just disappear, where in the World would you go?

What food and drink would you like? Please post in comments and let me know. I look forward to reading your ideas.

Wherever you decide, one things for sure it is so much easier to book and plan your trip online. No more booking off teletext, or trudging in to Town. My Husband still loves his remote controls, good that leaves me time to spend on the computer planning our bucket list of holidays. Happy Days.  

This post was supported by the team at Expedia UK. All thoughts are my own.

SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig