Food. Fashion. Fitness.

Thursday 5 October 2017

11 Tips On How To Prepare For The Cooler Months...


It is that time of year when you start to think about getting your home ready for Winter. Do you like to prepare for the cooler months? Stock up on food, check the boiler, bring out the extra blankets?

Maybe you have different decor in the Summer to Winter, to make your home feel cosier? Or do you switch furniture around, to freshen up each room?

How do you make your home feel warmer when it gets colder?


Today I am sharing 11 tips on how I prepare for the cooler months:

1.) Warm Quilts And Extra Blankets:

Around this time of year, I like to bring out the extra covers, use the thicker duvets for the beds. Anything that has been packed away over Summer that will keep us warm and cosy on chilly nights. It is all taken out of storage, aired and freshened ready to keep us extra snug.

2.) Make Sure There Are No Drafts:

Cover all drafts coming from doors or windows with a nice draft excluders or a winter door curtain. Not only can the draft come in, more importantly, the heat can escape so we need to put a stop to that!! Also, there is nothing worse than the cold wind howling through all the nooks and cranny's, so anything to cover them up is a big help.

3.) Check Your Insurance Is Up To Date:

Check that your home insurance is up to date. Making sure you are well covered for anything over the Winter months that could happen in event of a fire, flood, storm or burglary. Chill Insurance has a range of different policies on offer for homeowners, from contents insurance to unoccupied home insurance, to landlord insurance and much more.


4.) Stock Up On Food And Warm Drinks:

Keeping your cupboards stocked with long-lasting foods such as tinned goods and pasta. This is a great idea if you cannot get out in the bad weather. You will always have something to rustle up for dinner. Extra tea, coffee and hot chocolate drinks are always part of my Winter checklist. With possibly a few bottles of spirits to give my cheeks a nice Wintery glow!! I also blow the cobwebs off the slow cooker at this time of year. We all love a nice warm stew and dumpling when it is dark and chilly outside. Yummy.

5.) Pillow And Throws:

We like to start the countdown to Christmas with the seasonal throws for the sofa and the novelty slippers. A nice movie with a little treat or two sat snuggled on the sofa. Perfect. Who cares if it is cold outside?!


6.) Candles:

Candles are nice at this time of year. As well as looking pretty with the lights off, they give off a lovely fragrance to fill the room. We always use the Christmas memories candles. The smell always reminds me of the family all together, with lots of laughter and fun.

7.) New Dressing Gown And Slippers:

As mentioned we like to be snug on the sofa in the evening. If last years slippers and dressing gowns are not upto scratch a trip to the shops for this year's latest trends are in order. I wonder if the Onesies will be popular this year?

8.) Gas Boiler Service:

I like to have my gas boiler serviced every year. This is the perfect time to have it done as we tend to only have the hot water on during Spring and Summer. A proper Winter tune-up should ensure a nice warm Winter. Once many moons ago our boiler broke in Winter. It was horrible being freezing cold and waiting what seemed like weeks to have it fixed. No one likes a cold shower in Winter!! It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.


9.) Lamps And Sparkly Lights :

Perfect time of the year for floor lamps and table lamps. I find it always makes the home feel cosier. Also, I like to bring out the little battery powered sparkly lights and twinkly plug-in lights. Every room feels nicer if it sparkles!!

10.) Check Out Light Bulbs:

Talking of lights, it is the perfect time to check out all your bulbs. Check every light and lamp around the house. I also search the garage for the Christmas tree lights. Giving them a quick test! We have lots of little lights in each room and just one faulty bulb can make the room so much darker. I always need to write some new bulbs on my shopping list!

11.) Table Dressed Up:

I love to dress my kitchen table up, but even more so in Winter. It pleases me so much seeing a nicely laid out table. I have just bought some new sparkly table mats to go with my gold and white table set. I cannot wait to get cracking with this. I am just holding myself back as the children want the kitchen decorating for Halloween. As soon as November hits, this will be my first fun project. Look out for the pics. 


Now share your tips with me in the comments below so we can all help each other prepare for Winter...

About this post: This is a collaborative post. As always; all thoughts are my own.


SHARE:
Blogger Template Created by pipdig